2-In-1 Phirni (Sugar Free)
April 25, 2018
Phirni is a simple rice pudding which is made by boiling the milk slowly. This recipe has two layers – a pista layer and one flavored with rose essence.
Ingredients of Two-In-One Phirni (Sugar Free)
- 5 cups skimmed milk
- 1/3 cup (60 gm) rice, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 6 crushed chhoti elaichi, seeds only
- 3/4 cup artificial sweetener
- 2 Tbsp (40 gm) pista, blanched and ground to a paste
- Green color- to taste
- 1/4 tsp rose essence
- 10 almonds, blanched and shredded
- Vark (silver leaf) to garnish (optional)
How to Make Two-In-One Phirni (Sugar Free)
.1. Drain the rice and place in a blender, with a little bit of the milk and blend fine.
2. Bring the milk to a boil, in a heavy- bottomed sauce pan. Add the ground rice and bring it to boil again.
3. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring all the time, till the whole thing becomes one well blended mass. Takes about 20-25 minutes (to test, you can drop a spoon full, let it cool and check to see if it sets ).
4. Shut off the heat, and add the cardamom and sweetener.
5. Divide the phirni into two and add the pista paste to one portion and the rose essence to the other half.
6. Pour the white phirni into the serving bowl and refrigerate to set (you can keep the dish in the freezer compartment for a short while to speed up the setting of it), leaving the other half at room temperature.
7. When the white portion is set, pour the green portion over it, cover with the vark, garnish with the almonds and refrigerate it to set. Serve chilled.