Sarso Da Saag
April 25, 2018
Ingredients of Sarson da Saag
- 750 gm sarson da saag/ mustard leaf (roughly chop)
- 250 gm spinach (roughly chop)
- 100 gm moolipatta / white radish leaf (roughly chop)
- 30 gm mathua (roughly chop)
- 30 gm ginger (diced)
- 8 green chilli (slit & deseeded)
- 45 gm rice
- 60 ml mustard oil
- 15 gm makki ka atta / maize flour
- 200 gm white butter
- 100 gm jaggery / gur
- 1 nasturtium (edible flower)
- Salt to taste
How to Make Sarson da Saag
1.Put all the ingredients, except maize flour, gur and white butter, in a handi/pan.
2.Add water 2 litres of water, bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer until the greens are tender for about 45 minutes.
3.Remove handi/pan from heat and churn with a wooden churner.
4.Return handi/pan to heat, add maize flour, cover and simmer over very low heat, stirring at regular intervals, for 1 hour.
5.Remove and adjust the seasoning.
6.Pour in a bowl, and add large dollops of butter.
7.Add a few petals of edible flower and serve with gur and Makki ki Roti.